Some thoughts on Titles
Titles, Names, Grades ... Oh MY!Recently on a list that I am on there was a brief flurry of hoo-hah over one person's use of a title. Well rather that was the spark that started a fire ... more to the point in reality I feel is the stance of several people not likeing someone on account of the way they come across but well far be it from me to suggest so. Anyhow, there were the usual "Yeah? Push me shove you! Oh yeah!? Sez who!?" going on so I decided to make some observations on it all - generous forgiving and benevolent poly father that I am ... don't you agree?
Several people responded to push me shove you but so far nothing on this - perhaps it was all a bit too real ...
I find it rather disturbing that "qualifications" has become such a taboo subject. The statement: "Titles are meaningless" seems to be the order of the day and generally a panacea to to salve those who don't have any. I wonder what qualification one needs to be able to say this with authority ... or perhaps it is like politics ... where it is actively in ones best interest to not HAVE any quals!
Personally I have always been fond of knowing where those I engage in any form of contact with come from. I consider it only polite to state backgrounds and lineage in that sort of circle (so to speak) I find that it means everyone has a rough idea of where everyone is "coming from" (in all senses!) and that those who should not hear or understand become obviated.
After all ... all it takes is the statement: "what's all that about?" which again is elucidatory to the self as to what they should and should not be discussing. In this sense being questioned should not be, nor considered to be invasive - simply a chance to make ones self clearer and perhaps further the goals of the self and/or ones line. Of course there will always be those who attempt to ridicule or make perverse use of the same (on either side) but well the point at which ignorance becomes used in an offensive manner is always pretty obvious and the response to the same is up to the individual. Ignorance is only a virtue when one considers it a starting point to launch from - toward knowledge.
The simplest way of looking at it, (I think) is simply to say: "I have a/these title(s), it does mean something because I worked DAMN HARD to get it/them". Of course it is also just as straightforward to say: "I have these titles but they mean nothing in THIS CONTEXT". All titles have a context and they are names which someone has earned in one way or another. To my mind, when they are stated, it is up to all else to do the same, (or not) to question further, (or not) and then to respond in the clearest way possible available. One thing of note is that if one chooses to state them, one has a duty to clarify/proove in some way or be considered erroneous at best and that if one chooses NOT to state them then they must conceed that there is a deserved possibility that they will be considered ignorant at best - possibly duplicitous at worst.
Whether these qualifications were earned by years of hard work, mountains of cash or by a nose that needs cleaning before going out in public, I think that the same manner is there if we look for it. There is NO such thing as a free lunch and everything has a price that must be paid. At the end of the day all you can do is ask what the qualifications held are (if any) and what that means (in order to determine relevance etc). It is often the case then that the seeker must observe the subject carefully to see if they and their qualifications tally.
There are various ways of doing this, if one has the requisite knowledge or skills etc one can simply rate their ability against the level it should be, if not one can acquire the services of one who can. One can also request some sort of proof thereof - either it be by reference to past works or those who granted such qualification for referral, demonstration of ability, use of call signs/passwords and etc that can give a fair stab at whether or not the statement has been achieved. Hell even age can be verified .. if one is "so old" then these of comparable age will remember their arrival and they will have left traces. Those who say "Oh no ... we were so hidden etc" well then you must fall back upon other proofs - we have ten fingers and the hands work best with five on each! *G*
Of course there will always be those who lay claim to names they have not earned - just as we will always have those who spitefully declaim any truth that may be obviated. We will always have those who use titles to try and lord it over others just as we will always have those who try to use stupidity and laziness as virtues to join the losers club. Both sides of the coin will always be present and perhaps always be needed. All we can do I feel is try personally to do our best to be clear and who we are - there is afterall no hard and fast rule that says we all need to agree let alone become "bosom buddies". It is important to remember that progress does NOT simply mean agreeance - it is more often achieved by everyone doing THEIR thing and letting all else get on with their own. Truth tends to show out and there will always be a need for the buyer to beware .... I personally wouldn't have it any other way.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home