Wednesday January 9 2008 - News Article
*I have nothing to add your honour!*
Looter’s Spirits Return
Kenyan looters are rushing stolen goods back to their owners after being threatened by witchcraft.
A tide of theft swept the coastal city of Mombasa during unrest after last month’s disputed Kenyan elections.
TV stations broadcast pictures of people returning to places they robbed in Mombasa carrying beds, couches and other items.
A police chief confirmed the reports and said the rumours of witchcraft had made his job “easy”.
One woman said that the curse had prevented people from going to the toilet.
“I am telling the truth. I am not lying,” she told Kenyan broadcaster NTV.
Others attributed “mystery” illnesses to the curse.
Widespread looting followed a breakdown in law and order after President Mwai Kibaki was declared the winner of the disputed poll.
But word spread around Mombasa that a timber merchant had bought in a community elder to place curses on the thieves.
“He gave us ten days to return the timber” an unidentified man told the TV station.
Other victims of looters have reportedly followed suit.
John Joash confessed to stealing a bed.
“I am fearful for my life because of the ghosts. That is why I decided to return the property,” he said.
The Police Chief said: “Whether ghosts exist or not, our work has been made easy. I wish there were ghosts all over the country.”
Looter’s Spirits Return
Kenyan looters are rushing stolen goods back to their owners after being threatened by witchcraft.
A tide of theft swept the coastal city of Mombasa during unrest after last month’s disputed Kenyan elections.
TV stations broadcast pictures of people returning to places they robbed in Mombasa carrying beds, couches and other items.
A police chief confirmed the reports and said the rumours of witchcraft had made his job “easy”.
One woman said that the curse had prevented people from going to the toilet.
“I am telling the truth. I am not lying,” she told Kenyan broadcaster NTV.
Others attributed “mystery” illnesses to the curse.
Widespread looting followed a breakdown in law and order after President Mwai Kibaki was declared the winner of the disputed poll.
But word spread around Mombasa that a timber merchant had bought in a community elder to place curses on the thieves.
“He gave us ten days to return the timber” an unidentified man told the TV station.
Other victims of looters have reportedly followed suit.
John Joash confessed to stealing a bed.
“I am fearful for my life because of the ghosts. That is why I decided to return the property,” he said.
The Police Chief said: “Whether ghosts exist or not, our work has been made easy. I wish there were ghosts all over the country.”


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home